Frequently Asked Questions

It is important that you are aware of the information below before registering for a place at camp.


When you are ready, you can complete the Online Registration Form.


What is FCYC?

Free Church Youth Camps are uniquely designed, week-long residential holidays for young people. The Free Church of Scotland has been running summer camps for boys and girls since 1960, and over this time thousands of young lives have been positively impacted by the Word of God.

In 2018, we are offering around 350 places at 12 different camps all around the country. If you have never been to a Free Church Youth Camp before, then you are in for the best week of the school holidays! If you have been before, then welcome back! Why not bring your friends with you, too?

All camps are led by a great team of leaders, who want to have fun and share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with young people. They go to great lengths to include everyone and make sure no one is left out! Campers enjoy a week full of excursions, team challenges and personal challenges – with a strong Bible focus threaded throughout. They attend daily praise and informal Bible talks but, for many, the highlight of the week is ‘Dorm Discussion’ time, where campers are encouraged to explore and question the Christian faith for themselves. It is usual to attend a church service on the Sunday of camp. All Free Church Youth Camps invite you to make new friends, do new and exciting things, and learn about Jesus and His love for you.

Who's in charge?

Camps are staffed by volunteers who have been selected for their skills, gifts and talents. They work alongside our wonderful cooks who create hearty, wholesome meals several times a day – another camp highlight!

Leaders and cooks are all Christians who undergo rigorous vetting through their applications, references and recommendations, and must have up-to-date membership of the PVG (Protection of Vulnerable Groups) Scheme.

Free Church of Scotland policy ensures they also complete in-house training.

Who can come to camp?

Camps are split into school year groups. If you want to go to a P5 − P7 camp, for example, then you must be currently in either P5, P6 or P7 and so on.

Those finishing S6, or who are 18 or under in the summer of 2019, should register for a senior camp. For B.A.S.E. Camp, you must be 19 and over to register.

How do I book a place at camp?

Once you’ve looked at the camp options, complete the Online Registration Form.

You will receive an automatic confirmation once your form has been submitted.

Please note that registering for camp does not mean you have booked a camp place as there is a very high demand for some of the camps. Allocation of camp places will begin at 1pm on Monday 14th January.

When camps are oversubscribed, i.e. more people have registered than there are places for, there is a draw of the registration forms. Places are then allocated, and remaining registration forms are transferred to the waiting list for that camp or allocated a place on the camper’s second choice of camp, where possible.

Once you have submitted your registration form, please be patient and wait for FCYC Admin to contact you. January is a very busy time and it may take a week or two to inform you of the outcome of your application.

What about travel?

We offer chaperoned travel from Stornoway, Inverness, Perth and Glasgow. (Check out the Travel page for updated 2019 travel costs.)

Where there are low numbers, parents will need to make their own travel arrangements. Parents are welcome to drop their children off at camp and pick them up again afterwards.
You should indicate your travel requirement when registering for camp.
Travel costs are in addition to camp fees.

What's included in the camp fee?

All accommodation, meals, activities and at-camp travel are covered by the camp fee.

Occasionally, there are optional, extra activities offered at an additional cost. Plenty of notice will be given of this.

What about spending money?

At most camps there will be a book stall, tuck shop, days out, etc., so we suggest campers take a limited amount of spending money.

Campers are encouraged to deposit this money in the camp bank. We would endeavour to let parents know of any optional, additional costs that may be incurred.

How do I pay?

Once your camp place has been allocated, you will be sent an invoice with all the necessary details of how and when to pay.

Camp fees should be paid in full eight weeks prior to the start of camp. Payments can be made in instalments.

What about Family Discount?

For families sending more than one child to camp, we offer £30 discount per subsequent child’s camp fees.

What about the Camps Support Fund?

The Camps Support Fund is in place to assist families who would financially struggle to send their children to camp.

If you would like to apply for assistance, get in touch with FCYC directly or speak to someone in your church and ask him/her to contact FCYC on your behalf.

What about cancellations and refunds?

Any cancellation of camp places after 31st March will be subject to a 20% charge of the camp fee.

No refunds will be issued for camp places cancelled within four weeks of camp starting, except in emergency situations.

No refunds will be issued for travel changes made after 30th April, as costs will already have been incurred.

What about insurance?

The Free Church of Scotland maintains Public Liability Cover to include the work of the youth camps.

All the venues we use have their own Public Liability Insurance. If you require personal insurance cover, then you could arrange this yourself.

What about camp rules?

We want to keep camp rules to a minimum, but some rules are necessary for the smooth and safe running of a camp. A list of the rules will be sent to every camper and leader prior to camp.

In the event of a serious, or continued, breach of camp rules, we reserve the right to ask parents to collect their child from camp.

What about health issues?

Parents/guardians are required to complete a medical questionnaire for their child. All medical, social and behavioural issues affecting your child, and potentially other children, must be declared. FCYC staff will maintain confidentiality regarding issues which are disclosed.

Campers can retain their own inhalers, but other medication will be held by the Camp Medical Officer and issued according to prescription/instructions.

What if there is illness or injury at camp?

Each camp usually has a doctor or nurse on the team who will carry out First Aid in the event of illness or injury, followed by professional medical assistance, as necessary.

In the event of a serious illness or injury, the parent/guardian will be contacted immediately, and in some circumstances, it may be necessary for them to take the camper home.

What if I have more questions?

If you have any further questions, drop us a line or call us and we’ll do our best to help.
Phone:  0131 226 5286
Post:  FCYC, Free Church of Scotland Offices, The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 2LS